Friday 19 September 2014

Riding up that hill with Meg

It has been a surreal  and devastating week for me here in Chiang Mai and no doubt even more devastating for all my dear friends in Beechworth.  My close and beloved friend Meg Warren took her own life on Sunday.  We are all in shock and truly sad. 

Meg helped me in so many ways - up and over hills - on the bike and in life.  We also enjoyed the thrill and joy of the summit, the speed of a flat (but Meg preferred something "lumpy")  and relished the ride down.  It would be impossible to count the number of times Meg waited for me on a hill - climbing up  Buffalo, La Serrena or Mt Pilot  or to Falls Creek or here on the back road to Stanley.

Please Remember - cycling is not a photogenic activity - bad hair day here !!!

As all cyclists know its not about the bike.  We rode, we talked, we had coffee (and cake), we cursed Tony Abbot and celebrated Cathy McGowan's campaign, we planned adventures, dinners, celebrations and weekend escapes. We shared stories of our mother's health and illnesses and tales of childhood and of family.
We enjoyed the company of the Beechworth Mafia and being part of LFZ.
With tears in my eyes I cannot believe we will not  once again ride up to Stanley or walk around the lake.
It is impossible to understand the depths of her mental illness and how one so full of life could leave us. 
I struggle with my faith at such a time but can only believe that she is in with a loving GOD- who ever she maybe.
As my wise friend Shane has said Meg lived out the gospel message of "love one another as I have loved you"
Love to all and take care

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute Mary. It has rocked us - this whole thing about being human is a struggle! I feel for you being so far away. You are in my thoughts & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written M. Big hugs from Bonegilla. c x

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comments and responses. Mary