Monday 1 September 2014

Back on the bike

Yes, I have bought a bike.  A ladies mountain bike a Trek skye.  It was the quickest cycling decision I have ever made.  I caught a tuk tuk between two stores and within two hours had negotiated a deal, got the bike set up and  was ready to go.  This shop, Jackybike seemed the most professional and although we couldn't communicate beyond hand signals and the odd word they were very nice and looked after me and set me up with lights, rack and paniers. 
There were posters of Lance on the wall - not sure they had caught up on the drug scandal.  My attempt at a conversation about Cadel Evans didn't really work.
I rode back to school (about 25 km), an effort considering I am not bike fit at all- it took 4 hours.  I did take a wrong turn and so wasted about 45 minutes - some of that cooling down in the office of a condominium development and asking the bemused staff if I could please use google maps to find my way.
Half way up the hill I stopped at the Bamboo House for a coke and to wait out a storm for over an hour.  Then a stopped and looked at ants for a while on the steep sections.  Hopefully it won't be such a long trip the next time. 
I am looking forward to exploring the area around school and if necessary using the bike to get in and out of town. As this article describes Chiang Mai offers great cycling.  It is becoming an eastern cycling epicenter.

1 comment:

  1. A freedom machine - this is good Mary & with a bench mark of 25km in 4 hours & some navigating experience, it is going to be easy to post a series of PRs!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comments and responses. Mary