Monday 10 February 2020

Shichifukujin on a Sunday


Shichifukujin Meguri is the seven lucky gods pilgrimage - a New Year tradition to invite luck into your life.
Of course Mary never arrives on time, so I visited seven shrines a month late!! Sunday I explored shrines in Nihonbashi. The aim is to visit shrines for seven deities.
  • Ebisu – the god of prosperity, commerce, and fishing
  • Daikokuten – the god of agriculture (hence his being called the “kitchen god”), prosperity, and commerce
  • Bishamonten – the god of war who defends humans against evil spirits
  • Benzaiten – the goddess of beauty and the arts
  • Fukurokuju – the god of wisdom, good fortune, and longevity
  • Jurojin – the god of longevity and good health
  • Hotei – the god of happiness and good fortune
As I was a month late I missed any English documentation so I not sure I ticked all the deity boxes.  It was interesting, especially watching the crowds at Suitengu Shrine  which is famous, being visited as a shrine for safe childbirth and blessing for  children.  and at Koami Shrine Fukurokuju (virtue/longevity) and Benzai-ten (learning/wealth) are worshipped here.
Better late than never - I hope the visits bring me luck for 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comments and responses. Mary